Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Dinner On a House Boat

Last weekend was a very cool weekend.  

Some friends that I have catered for in the past, asked me to do another meal for them last weekend.  They were having an annual meeting with their board of directors and each year they like to treat them to a real nice meal.  It has been my honor to be the one to make that meal for them.  And as an added bonus, this meal was on the nicest, biggest houseboat that I have ever been on.  And I've snuck a few peeks at some houseboats on Norris Lake in TN.  None of them held a candle to this one.

The meal is different than what I usually do, because it is not a buffet.  We serve the meal with four courses.  Appetizer, salad, main, and dessert.  Is this as fancy as it could be?  No, but it is still a lot of food, and a good time.  

For the appetizers I served two items.  One was a kalamata olive, roasted red pepper dish.  I have described it here before.  (check my last dinner party blog)  I also made a scallop dish with mushrooms and asparagus.  It was delicious.  I will put the recipe on in the future.  

For the salad we did a very simple Caesar salad.  Nothing fancy, but good.  

For the main course, I offered New York Strip, or Salmon.  Both grilled.  For unbelievable Salmon I use Lemon zest, olive oil and Canadian Steak seasoning.  
First, rub a little olive oil onto your salmon filet.  Next, take the zest of a lemon and rub it into the meat as well, trying to distribute it evenly.  Finally, sprinkle a little canadian steak seasoning and you are good to go.  Grill until it is just cooked.  Do not overcook, or you might as well eat canned salmon.
Along with the steak or salmon, I served Roasted New Potatoes, with roasted garlic aioli,  and green beans with tomato concasse.  Also, I have talked about these sides before.  My friends had eaten them before, so they were fine with having them for this meal also.  You could say they were looking forward to the aioli.  

Finally for the dessert.  Chocolate Ganache Tart.  It was amazing, and I am going to link the recipe for you.  It is very easy.  You will need a tart pan and some time, but it is well worth it.

ganache_tart290.20090611020729.jpg

http://www.chow.com/recipes/14104

Check it out, it is great.

Unfortunately, I did not have the camera to take pictures.  I thought that my wife had it, but it turns out we just can't find it.  

I hope you try the tart, and I want to say thanks to my friends for letting me do the meal.  It sounds like it is going to be very good for future business, for more meals just like this.  

1 comment:

@ rest & lovin' it! said...

GREAT meal Do You want a fantastic meal??? If so, hire Asher Foods...This dinner on a house boat was one of our most memorable meals ever!

Can't make it out to the house boat...come to an ultimate, "nothing held back" Holiday dinner @ Rainbow Christian Camp...The price is a steal and the meal is incredible!

Bring your friends...a big group or a small intimate gathering of a few friends...come and enjoy.

The best food I have ever enjoyed have come from Asher Foods!

Come and enjoy!

Chuck@REST